Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA When to make a SORN

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

When to make a SORN

Make a SORN:

  • if your vehicle is being kept off the road due to repair, MOT failure or is not being used
  • if you're not renewing your tax disc and keeping the vehicle off road
  • if you're applying for a refund and keeping the vehicle of road
  • every 12 months if you continue to keep your vehicle off the road
  • in advance if your vehicle is to be kept off the road in the Great Britain when you're abroad

SORN applies to all tax classes including historic and disabled vehicles.

When to Apply

Make a SORN as soon as you take your vehicle off the road.

If your tax or SORN is due to run out at the end of the month, make a SORN from the fifth day of the month and a SORN cannot be backdated.

How to Make a SORN When SORN is not needed

SORN isn't needed if:

  • you sell the vehicle
  • you scrap the vehicle or pass it to a scrap dealer
  • your insurance company write the vehicle off
  • you take the vehicle abroad permanently
  • you apply for a refund and don't keep the vehicle
  • your vehicle was last taxed before 31 January 1998

Check the date your SORN expires by making an online vehicle enquiry. Just enter the registration mark and make of your vehicle.

My Vehicle has Failed the MOT Test or Insurance Certificate Has Not Arrived

If you intend to renew your vehicle tax you should do so before your current tax disc expires. However, this is not always possible if you have failed an MOT or you're waiting for insurance.

You'll be committing an offence if you use or keep your vehicle on the public road without a current tax disc. If you cannot obtain a tax disc, you must keep the vehicle off road.

While your vehicle is off the road, you have 14 days in which to obtain a tax disc or make a SORN.

Driving to an MOT Test When SORN in Force

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

Registered Keeper Has Died

The person responsible for the deceased person's affairs can make a SORN if the vehicle is being taken off the road. Click here to notify the DVLA of a bereavement.

Vehicle Involved in Accident I Am Not Sure What Insurance Company Intends To Do

You may want to leave the tax disc on the vehicle if it's likely to be repaired. If it's likely that the vehicle will be written off, then it will be the responsibility of the insurance company to make a SORN when they take possession. You can claim a refund of vehicle tax for any remaining full months.

Click here to apply for a refund of vehicle tax

Buying a Vehicle Which Has SORN On It

If you keep the vehicle off the road then you'll need to make a SORN when you become the registered keeper. The previous SORN comes to an end on the date you buy the vehicle.

Using or keeping a vehicle on a public road 

A public road is a road maintained at the public expense, including grass verges and ground adjoining the road. Contact your local authority if you have any doubt about an area where you want to park your vehicle.

Change of Address

DVLA don't need an address for SORN purposes. However, make sure your Registration Certificate (V5C) is up to date to make sure you receive a reminder when your SORN is about to expire.

Vehicle Abroad on Temporary Basis

You cannot make a SORN if your vehicle is outside Great Britain. The vehicle will need to display a valid tax disc.