Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Vehicle Tax Refunds

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Vehicle Tax Refunds

You can claim a refund of vehicle tax if you're taking your vehicle off the road, selling it or if it's been scrapped, exported or stolen. You can get a refund for each full month still to run on the tax disc at the time you apply.

When to Apply

The tax disc and refund application must be posted to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in Swansea or handed into your nearest DVLA local office before the first day of the month you are claiming.

Remember, you can't apply for a refund if your vehicle is in the process of having its registration number transferred or retained.

Here's How You Apply for a Refund with a Tax Disc

First, to get a refund you'll need a completed form V14 refund/SORN application and the tax disc. Just send the form and disc to Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL.

If you take your vehicle off the road, when you remove the tax disc, you'll also need to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) on the V14 refund form, as the vehicle will no longer be taxed.

Applying For a Refund Without a Tax Disc

To get a refund you'll need a completed form V33 or Refund Application where no licence disc is surrendered. Just send the form to Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL. Form V33 is only available at a DVLA local office or by phoning 0870 240 0010.

If you're taking your vehicle off the road, you'll need to make a SORN on the V33 refund form.

My Vehicle Has Been Stolen?

Most vehicles are recovered within a few days of theft, so wait at least seven days before applying for a refund. If the tax disc is not recovered, you'll need to provide details of the theft and crime reference number given by the police on the V33 form. Form V33 is only available at a DVLA local office or by phoning 0870 240 0010. If the tax disc is found after a refund has been paid, you must return the disc with a covering letter to Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL.

When to Expect Your Refund?

Refunds take three to six weeks to process. Please allow up to six weeks for a refund to arrive before making enquiries.

How Much Refund Can I Expect

A refund is paid for each full month left to run on the tax disc at the time you apply for a refund. If you have a six-month tax disc, you paid an extra ten percent handling charge at the time of purchase. This is not included as part of your refund. An administration fee of £7 is charged when the tax disc has not been handed in.

Backdated Refund

A refund is only paid for full months left to run on the tax disc at the time you apply. A refund cannot be backdated.

What If You Make a SORN?

If you make a SORN at the time you apply for a refund, an acknowledgement letter should be sent to you within four weeks. This is sent separately to the refund. If you don't receive an acknowledgement letter, please contact DVLA Customer Enquiries.