Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Scrapped or Written Off Vehicle

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Do You Have a Scrapped or Written Off Vehicle?

You should only tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) that your vehicle has been scrapped if you actually break it up or destroy it yourself. If the vehicle being written off, the insurance company will notify DVLA on your behalf.

Breaking the Vehicle Up Yourself

If you break or destroy the vehicle yourself, you need to notify DVLA by completing the ‘scrapped’ box on the registration document or certificate and enter the date of scrapping. Send the certificate to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BA.

Selling the vehicle for Scrap

Scrap dealers and vehicle dismantlers are now known as authorised treatment facilities (ATFs), they will treat end of life vehicles in an environmentally friendly manner. If you pass your vehicle to an ATF and it is destroyed immediately, hand in your registration certificate. Certain types of vehicles, including cars and vans up to 3,500kgs, will be issued with a certificate of destruction (CoD). If the vehicle is not to be destroyed, you should fill in the V5C/3 section of the registration certificate to transfer keepership to the ATF. Send the V5/3C to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BD.

Do You Have Third Party Insurance Cover

If you have third party insurance cover on your car and it has received substantial accident damage to the bodywork, you are required on change of ownership to surrender the registration document or certificate to DVLA before disposing of the vehicle. Substantial damage means the cost of commercial repair would exceed the value of the car.

What Happens Now?

You will be liable for the vehicle until you have notified DVLA of the scrapping or sale of your vehicle. So notify them immediately to saved yourself future problems.

Once you have informed DVLA you will receive an acknowledgement letter confirming the discharge of liability of your vehicle. If you do not receive an acknowledgement letter within four weeks please contact 0870 240 0010. Customers with impaired hearing or speech who have access to text phone/minicom should ring 01792 782 756.

Insurance Company Writes Off Your Vehicle

If your insurance company decides to write off your vehicle, you must hand over the vehicle to them in return for a total loss payment. You will need to complete V5/3 or V5C/3 ‘Notification of sale or transfer’ section of your registration document or certificate and send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Then give the remainder of the registration document or certificate to the insurance company.

Under a special arrangement between DVLA and the insurance industry, your insurer may ask you for the whole registration document or certificate, which they will complete for you and send to the DVLA. If you decide to do this you should, in order to discharge your liability, write to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BR giving the date you passed the vehicle to the insurance company and details of their name and address.

Personalised Registration Mark on the Vehicle

In the event of scrapping or total loss and you have a cherished mark you wish to keep, you must transfer or retain it before you dispose of the vehicle. If you do not do this you will lose your entitlement to that number. You will need to ensure that your insurance company does not dispose of the vehicle and it is available for inspection. For more information read Registration Numbers and You.

My Vehicle has Been Damaged or Written Off

How to Obtain a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC)?

Insurers must notify DVLA of all cars ‘written off’ within salvage categories A, B or C. This notification will set a VIC Marker against the DVLA vehicle record. While a VIC marker remains set DVLA will not issue a registration certificate V5C, or vehicle licence reminder V11.  The VIC marker will only be removed when the car passes a VIC.

The VIC is conducted by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). They can only conduct a VIC on a car which has a VIC marker set against the DVLA vehicle record. To check if a VIC marker is set contact VOSA on 08706 060 440.

To obtain a VIC submit a completed application form, together with the correct fee, directly to VOSA. You will be notified of an appointment once VOSA has processed your application.