Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Replace Lost or Stolen Registration Certificate

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Replace Lost or Stolen Registration Certificate

You have to replace your Registration Certificate (V5C) if it's been lost, stolen, damaged or defaced. You can apply by post using a V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)’; or you may be able get a duplicate over the phone using your debit or credit card or apply by phone by ringing 0870 240 0010.

You can apply by phone if:

  1. you're the the registered keeper on the Registration Certificate
  2. your name, address or vehicle details haven't changed
  3. you have a debit or credit card to pay the £25 fee - the cost of a duplicate Registration Certificate

Apply by post:

You'll need to complete a V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C). These forms are available for download  or from any Post Office branch or Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office. Don't forget to enclose the £25 fee and send your completed application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DD If your name and address details have changed, you can notify them on the V62 form at the same time.

My original Registration Certificate was Destroyed by the Insurance Company

The £25 fee isn't needed if the vehicle has been categorised as ‘C’ salvage (repairable but repair costs exceeded vehicle value) by the insurance industry. However, the £25 fee must be paid if the vehicle has been categorised as A, B or D. (A = scrap only; B = break for spare parts only; D = repairable). DVLA will carry out checks to ensure that the vehicle criteria are met.

If you don't know what categorisation of vehicle you have, please contact your insurance company.

When can I expect your new Registration Certificate?

DVLA aims to deliver a Registration Certificate to you within four weeks if you applied by post or two weeks if you applied by phone. Allow at least six weeks for your Registration Certificate to arrive before contacting DVLA.

Replacing other documents

You may also need to replace your driving licence or MOT certificate.

  • Replacing a lost, stolen driving licence
  • Replacing a lost or damaged MOT certificate

If you need to replace a certificate of motor insurance you'll need to contact your insurance company.

If you need to replace a retention Document, you'll need to write to Cherished Transfers, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BW. An updated document will be delivered to you within six weeks.