Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Replace Lost Licence

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

What if My Driving Licence is Lost, Stolen, Defaced or Destroyed?

Probably one of our most loathed tasks but you must replace your driving licence if it has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed.
If your driving licence has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed you have to replace it. The good news is that in this section of dvlaguide.com we will show you three different ways to do get a new licence. You can do this online, by telephone and by post. And you may be able to use the premium checking service
The bad news is it will cost you 17.50.

Can I Drive Before I Get My New Licence?

You can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:
Aren’t disqualified from driving.
Haven’t been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries.
Held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence.
Wouldn’t be refused a licence for medical reasons.

Did You Loose a Photocard Licence?

If DVLA cant verify your identity online, youll need to send a completion form by post. You wont be able to renew your photo online.

Did You Loose a Paper Licence?

DVLA will need a photograph for your new licence and will aim to electronically capture it from the Identity and Passport Service (IPS). If this isnt possible you will need to send a completion form by post enclosing a photograph.

Applying Online Cost 17.50

If you apply online, you will need to set up a Government Gateway User ID. DVLA tries to get your licence within 10 working days of receiving your application when you apply online. Here are a few other things you will need to know before you begin:

Must be a resident of Great Britain.
Must meet the minimum eyesight requirement.
Currently not prevented from driving for any reason.
Must pay 17.50 by MasterCard, Visa, Maestro, Electron, Delta or Solo debit or credit card.
If you are replacing a paper licence, you must have a valid UK passport or other form of identity.
Must provide addresses of where you lived over the last three years.
DVLA will carry out identity checks.

Apply Online Now

Photocard Driving Licence Holder

Apply by Phone Fee 17.50

If none of your details have changed you can apply by phone if one or both parts of your photocard licence have been lost or stolen. You have to pay by credit or debit card. The telephone number is 0870 240 0009.

Ring from Monday to Friday 8.00 am - 8.30 pm or Saturday 8.00 am - 5.30 pm. You cant apply by phone if you have a paper licence holder or if your photo is due to expire or has expired.

Apply by Post - Fee 17.50

Just complete the D1 Pack form. You can get this form from DVLA form ordering service or Post Office branches. Remember to include the part of your licence you have if only one part is missing. You can send the application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB.
If you changed your name since your last licence was issued you will need to provide original documents to confirm your new name if its changed. DVLA tries to get your licence within 3 weeks of receiving your application when you apply by post.

Order a D1 Pack form

Renew Yur Photo

You can renew your photo at any time, but if your photo is expiring within the next two months itll need to be renewed straight away. You cant renew your photo using the telephone or online service.

Paper Driving Licence Holder

To apply in person or by post Just complete the D1 Pack form. You can get this form from DVLA form ordering service or Post Office branches.  Include original documents

Youll need to confirm your identity and include a passport type photograph and you can return your paper licence if its been defaced.

Send all your documents to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB or use the premium checking service at selected Post Office branches or DVLA local offices.

Identity Documents and Photograph Criteria

The DVLA cant issue a driving licence until it’s satisfied that it can confirm your identity. That means when you apply for a photocard driving licence you’ll need to provide identification and a photo. You must provide original documents. DVLA wont accept photocopies or laminated certificates. For details on identity documents and photograph criteria.

Premium Checking Service

Don’t want to send your identification through the post to the Driver and Vehicle Licence Agency (DVLA)? You may be able to use the premium checking services available at selected Post Office branches or DVLA local offices. Click here for details.

Premium check is not available for online application.

Your Old Licence

If you find your old licence after requesting or receiving your new duplicate photocard driving licence you must return the old one to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB with an explanatory letter it.

Do You Have a New Photocard Driving Licence?

DVLA is issuing a new photocard driving licence. There is one sure way to tell.

Have a Driving Licence Question?

Phone number for driving licence queries:

0870 240 0009
Online driver licensing customer enquiries:?0870 850 2963?Note: The online number is only for customers who are having difficulty making an application online and require help.

Text Phone

For the deaf and hard-of-hearing text phone users?01792 766 366


Opening Hours

From 8.00 am to 8.30 pm Monday to Friday; From 8.00 am to 5.30 pm Saturday

DVLA Local Office Locations

Click Here