Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Register a Rebuilt, Altered or Kit Vehicle

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Register a Rebuilt, Altered or Kit Vehicle

Are you rebuilding or radically altering a vehicle, or building a vehicle from a kit? It'll need to meet certain criteria before the vehicle is registered. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office will assign the original or an appropriate registration mark on the evidence provided.

Vehicle Identity

Sometimes, however, a vehicle needs to be rebuilt and this can call the identity of the vehicle into question. Is it the original that has simply been repaired, or have so many new or different parts been used in the rebuilding process that the original vehicle has been effectively broken up? 

In allocating a registration mark to a rebuilt vehicle, the Agency's main interest is to establish whether or not the vehicle is newly constructed with no previously registered identity (in the present form). Vehicles that have been substantially rebuilt need to be examined by one of the DVLA local offices.

Vehicle Identity Check

All cars notified to DVLA as ‘written off’ within salvage categories A, B or C are required to pass a vehicle identity check (VIC), conducted by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), before DVLA will issue a registration certificate V5C. If a car has been rebuilt as part of the repair process, this can call the identity of the car into question.

If a car fails a VIC because its identity cannot be confirmed, it won't be entitled to retain its original registration mark.

Following a successful SVA inspection and DVLA local office assessment, a ‘Q’ registration mark will be allocated.