Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Exempt Vehicles

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Exempt Vehicles

If you're taxing in the disabled tax class for the first time or just renewing your free disabled tax disc, the documents you have will determine if you can tax your vehicle online, at a Post Office® branch or Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office.

Your Exemption Certificate

To tax in the disabled tax class you'll need exemption certificate DLA404 if you get Disability Living Allowance or exemption certificate WPA442 if you get the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement.

The exemption certificate must:

  • be valid on the day the tax disc comes into force
  • only be used to tax one vehicle at a time
  • be completed by you and stamped by the counter clerk each time you apply for a free tax disc

If it has expired, is full, has been altered or your name and address has changed, you'll need to get a replacement from the Agency that issued it before you can tax.