Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Driving Untaxed Vehicle to MOT Test

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office®.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Driving Untaxed Vehicle to MOT Test

Can I Drive an Untaxed Vehicle to an MOT Test?

The short answer is yes but there are rules. You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station if you have insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

Keep an Untaxed Vehicle on the Road and Youll Get Clamped

Figures out in February 2008 on road tax evasion show that the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) collected an estimated 98.5% of all potential revenue from road tax in 2007.

If you keep or use an untaxed vehicle on a public road, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's (DVLA) wheelclamping operator could clamp or impound it. The fees to release your vehicle are high. Unclaimed vehicles will be towed away and impounded and could be crushed after seven days.

Wheelclamping Operators

DVLA works in partnership with NCP Services Ltd who operate the wheelclamping scheme and a number of local authorities and police forces who operate local wheelclamping schemes in their areas.

How it Works

Clamping vans patrolling the streets are equipped with automatic number plate reader (ANPR) technology. Roof-mounted cameras read the number plates of vehicles parked at the roadside. The number plates are checked against a list of untaxed vehicles and any identified are confirmed against the DVLA vehicle register. The untaxed vehicle is then clamped, or towed away and impounded after 24 hours (or immediately in some cases).

Got Clamped?

To get your vehicle released you'll need:

  • to pay a release fee of £80
  • produce a valid tax disc

If you don't produce a tax disc you'll need to pay a deposit instead. This is £120 for a car or motorcycle and up to £600 for other vehicles. You'll get the deposit payment back when you tax your vehicle and produce a valid tax disc. If you fail to produce a tax disc within two weeks you'll lose the surety payment and your vehicle could be clamped again and again.

Towed Away and Impounded

To release your vehicle, you'll need to pay a £160 fee, and any storage charges of £15 per day as well as producing a valid tax disc or surety payment.

Provided you're registered as the vehicle keeper, DVLA will write to inform you that your vehicle has been impounded and will be disposed of unless all fees are paid.

You could also face prosecution with fines up to £1,000 as well as paying any arrears of vehicle tax owed and costs.

Unclaimed vehicles are crushed after seven days. Vehicles of economic value are disposed of after 14 days. Any vehicles of significant value are resold at auction.