Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA What Happens if You Don't SORN A Vehicle

Calls cost £1.53 per minute plus network extras.

The information/number you require can be found free of charge from Gov.uk.

Information You Can Use, When You Need It
This website provides helpful and convenient information regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

We offer a call connection service, which means you are dialling one of our 09 phone numbers that will appear on your bill, and not the number of the government organisation. This number connects you through to the government department you wish to speak to.

If you find yourself in a queue or disconnected for any reason please call back on the number announced on your call. Alternatively, the contact number can be found on the required organisations website. We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation, but act simply as a cost effective information assistance service.

If you need to apply for, renew or replace a licence, or have any other vehicle enquiry, you may also contact Drivers' Customer Services, Correspondence Team, DVLA, SA6 7JL or the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, SA99 1AR. You also may be able to use the vehicle and licensing services at a Post Office¬ģ.

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you-ll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

What Happens if You Don’t SORN A Vehicle

As the registered keeper of your vehicle, it's your responsibility to tax it or make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) if it's to be kept off the road.  If you don't, you could face an automatic penalty, further fines or your vehicle could be clamped, towed away or even crushed.

There's no way out

Your vehicle doesn't need to be seen on the road for an offence to have been committed. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a check of its records each month to identify untaxed vehicles. They have the authority to carry out enforcement action against you using the information held on their records.

As well as this, DVLA works in partnership with NCP Services Ltd, the police and local authorities in operating wheelclamping schemes. Using automatic number plate readers (ANPR) they identify, clamp and tow away untaxed vehicles on the public road.

What Will Happen

If you don't tax or SORN your vehicle you could be stopped by the police.

You'll get an automatic penalty of £80, as well as paying for a new tax disc and any arrears of vehicle tax you owe.

You could also get a County Court Judgment against you, be fined a minimum of £1000.

The maximum penalty for making a false declaration by declaring SORN when the vehicle is actually used or kept on a public road is £5000 and two years imprisonment.

Your vehicle could be clamped by one of DVLA's wheelclamping partners. You'll need to pay to have your vehicle released as well as producing a valid tax disc or surety fee if no disc is available. If you fail to pay, your vehicle will be impounded, incurring storage charges. If you don't pay the release or storage fees, your vehicle could be crushed or sold.